Degranville

Friday, July 14, 2006

I am a blog illiterate

I am a blog illiterate! This is another message for Angie, who posted a comment on the blog. I didn't know the difference between an e.mail from the website and a blog comment. Honestly - sometimes I'm not fit to be let loose with a computer. Anyhow, Angie, I'm so glad you enjoyed Blood Red Horse, and hope you are enjoying Green Jasper.

You asked if you might know more about the next books, so, in addition to the previous blog, which talks more about writing than content, here is a small taster.

The new trilogy begins in the Limousin in France, with the death of Richard the Lionheart as he searches for some mystery treasure. That is historically true, which made a wonderful base for a story. My young hero and heroine are on opposite sides in the Crusade against the Cathars, who flourished in Occitania, now in France itself, but which was then a separate culture entirely. So there's a bit of a Romeo and Juliet feel, except not, if you know what I mean! At the moment, the books all lead up to a terrible climax in a fortress called Montsegur, where, in 1244, there was a violent massacre. My characters are torn between their families and each other. Add in the mysterious treasure, which is very important, plots and counterplots,the stamping on the colourful and warm Occitanian way of life by an army conducting a War On Heresy, all set against the background of the stunning Pyrenean mountains, and you have a flavour of the books. Lots of research done, lots still to do.

Hope you are enjoying your summer.

Onwards and upwards,
Katie

3 Comments:

Blogger Angiegirl said...

Oh, thanks for the taster! The series sounds wonderful. I love that time period, so I'm thrilled you're continuing on with it. I have about 70 pages left in Green Jasper and it's just as exciting as Blood Red Horse. I was so happy to see Kamil again. Did you have his character planned from the beginning or was he one that sort of made himself known as you were writing?

8:41 AM  
Blogger K.M.Grant said...

Hi there, Angie, I'm so glad you like the ideas. I shall be away from this blog for a fortnight doing some on the ground research, to which I am much looking foward, and will post more about the new books when I get back.

It is lovely that you were glad to see Kamil again. He features in Blaze of Silver too. The de Granville trilogy is very much his story, as well as that of the Hartslove knights. I knew there was going to be a Saracen boy, because the scene during which Saladin chooses Hosanna to be sent back to the Christian camp at Jaffa was fixed in my head, but the actual character of Kamil came a little later. I like him very much and am always so pleased when others do too.

very best,
Katie

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one learn that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.
[url=http://amazon.reviewazone.com/]Katherine[/url]

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home