Degranville

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

it's nearly over

Filming is finished and the reinstatement has begun. Soon, really quite soon, our hall will be purple no longer. Now that it's going, I'm growing quite fond of it - not fond enough to keep it, but fond. I'm also rather dreading leaving our little dolls-house flat and returning to 'real' life. Life without domestic responsibilities is really rather blissful, particularly now my husband and I have resolved the wallpaper issue (i.e. he's given in). On Saturday, I shall pick up the dogs. I'm hoping it's true they have no sense of time, but I fear I shall have to do a bit of crawling before they forgive their extended abandonment in kennels.

The budgies, who remained at home, have also had their own adventure in the shape of an unexpected visitor. Astutely realising that the dogs were no longer in residence, next door's cat, who has long anticipated a budgie-shaped snack, availed itself of the dogflap and took a flying leap at the cage, plunging it, budgies and himself straight onto the floor. Flap flap flip flap. Miaow, piaow, miaow. Clang. Clang. Birdseed everywhere. Water everywhere. Feathers everywhere. Dignity shredded, the cat slunk off. Heart attacks were predicted for the birds. However once righted and back on the window sill, they appeared completely unmoved. Much discussion ensued. I mean to say, given that both birds should be dead, are ours particularly brave or particularly thick? Whichever, they are certainly survivors although once we move home again and things are back to normal, they'll probably die immediately - of boredom.

Oh - and for those who wanted to know, I did go home during the filming for some sneak previews and can thus confirm that Gina McKee is as beautiful offscreen as she is on, and is witty and charming to boot, and that Jeremy Northam, though a little more weather-worn than he was as Ivor Novello, is just the sort of man who would grace a drawing room. But my goodness is it unglam, making stuff for tv. Hours of preparation for seconds of filming. You don't just need acting skills, you need the patience of Job.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed your blogs about your house. Good luck on your return.
Barbara from NZ

1:12 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Oh, heavens. Domesticated animals seem set on having adventures...maybe it's our fault for bringing them into our safe-but-boring caves in the first place.

11:02 PM  
Blogger BookMoot said...

Hooray for the brave brave budgies! That actually sounds like the title of a children's book. The Brave Little Budgies.

Katie, I love your posts. Imagine having one's home "starring" in a BBC production. I shall look forward to seeing it when the show is broadcast over here, even the purple hall.

Question: What is a gap year? I feel like this is something I have known but forgotten. And India. Where did you go, what did you see?
Is all travel "research?"

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home