Degranville

Monday, September 29, 2008

starred review - hurrah - and a couple of launches

An excellent start for Blue Flame in the USA - a starred review in Booklist - and my UK editor loves the first manuscript of Paradise Red, the first time she has seen the third in the trilogy. The second, White Heat, has just come out here in the UK.

As it launches out into the world, our second daughter launches off to university. So much coming of age. She's busy packing and in my search for sheets and towels I came across a bracelet I lost months ago, which was a plus, and then gazed at the sheets I was sending with her in horror. I've always thought them absolutely fine. After all, they're just white sheets. Except now that they are to furnish a Cambridge bed I see that they're no longer white - probably haven't been for years. Rather, they're what I call Glasgow grey from endless washing. Still, at least I'll be able to get rid of another duvet. Ours multiply in a most unhelpful way and bulge out of drawers and chests as if daring me to chuck them out. Now there's no need. They can go off to university with Eliza along with all the plates, wobbly lamps and old bits of cutlery I care not whether I see again. How many mothers are doing the same? A quantity, I'll be bound.

Hey ho.

5 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Hurrah indeed! :) And oh - that is funny but a little bit sad about the sheets.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very happy for you about the review- I can't wait to read the books.

Good luck at university for your daughter. That's unfortunate about the sheets, but I guess it's always best to realize these things before sending them off to be used.

5:28 PM  
Blogger BookMoot said...

Heaven knows you don't want to send them off with the "good stuff." Glasgow gray sounds just fine.

We are also getting ready to send one of the entlings off to grad school which will mean off-campus digs. I'm envisioning this as a way to move out some extraneous furniture (maybe upgrade some here in the homestead), sundry pots and pans, sheets and blankets. Yes!

11:49 AM  
Blogger BookMoot said...

Oh, and congratulations to your daughter. Cambridge, how wonderful.

--Camille

11:52 AM  
Blogger K.M.Grant said...

Hello, all! I love the sheet comments. To combat the grey, you may like to know that I also sent Eliza off with a pink candy striped duvet cover. Not sure she thought it quite the thing. I said just look at some of the others.

She's seen supermodel Lily Cole twice now, cycling about, legs as long as the Oxford Road, as our old headmistress once said, rather disapprovingly about somebody's tongue. Not sure what Mother Cecilia had against the Oxford Road, which was, incidentally, not in Oxford but in Burnley.

In Miss Cole's case, any remark about her legs should be taken as entirely complimentary. With three extra inches between knee and ankle, my life might have turned out entirely differently, as might hers with three fewer.

Katie

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home