Degranville

Thursday, December 11, 2008

crunching the credit

Well, I don't know. The credit crunch makes for strange behaviour. The other day I returned a de-icer spray (unused, naturally) to the shop. My husband had bought it and we don't need it. The price was £1.50. Is this prudence or madness?

Now I'm gazing at the windows wondering if we really need the window cleaner.

I blame the Prime Minister. The more he tells me to spend, spend, spend, the more I want to save, save, save. Five seconds of his hectoring brings out my natural obstinacy and helps me to understand exactly why my ancestors remained Catholics during the Reformation. Asked nicely, I'm sure they'd have said 'ok then', but ordered to renounce their popery by a black-clad Gordon Brownish predecessor, I'm not surprised they cut up rusty. 'Get lost!' they cried. It's my cry now.

In the end, of course, Reformation-wise, my family paid in blood and money. I'm hoping to be spared the blood, but doubt we'll be spared the money - which is why I won't cancel the window cleaner. I'd rather give the contents of my purse to him than to Mr. Brown.

Damn, I seem to be spending after all.

2 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Yes, authors should definitely be allowed to keep their blood.

10:02 PM  
Blogger BookMoot said...

Since this frightening mess was caused by the very same people who are now cobbling together the "bail outs" and "plans" and "take-overs,” then, perhaps, it is understandable if I too, look at their solutions with a large degree of skepticism.

Rather than the "best and the brightest" we are governed by "the ignorant and the ignominious;” politicians who are dishonest and dishonorable.” But, "we" elected them, alas.

The one thing I am quite sure of is that not one senator or representative will suffer as a result.

Hooray for books and great stories where we can all escape the frustrations of the day's news.

I'm going off to read right now.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home