Degranville

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

details, details

Yana has asked what Gavin, Will, Ellie and Kamil look like, which raises an interesting point about writing. Does the author have a fixed vision of the characters? I know that individual readers do, but actually, as the author, being asked to describe my characters is a bit like being asked to describe myself, which I would find quite difficult to do since I don't spend that much time gazing into the mirror. So - though I could give you Gavin, Will, Ellie and Kamil's opinions about almost anything, can I describe their faces? Well, here goes.

I see Gavin with thick brown/blonde hair, and Will too. They're both of medium height, Gavin slightly taller. There's a distinct family similarity in that both have those bright, expectant, very English faces, Gavin's a little longer than Will's, his lips a little thinner, his bearing a little stiffer. Will has a dimple, which appears when he tightens his cheeks, making it hard for him to look very stern. Will looks more and more like their father as he gets older. Gavin, had he lived, would have looked more like their mother. Ellie is shorter than Will, and slimmer, with auburn hair and expectant eyes. She's always alert, as an animal is, and her lips turn up at the edges when she smiles, which is often. In repose, her expression is a little wistful, as if she's seeing something in the far distance which she faintly wishes she could have.

Kamil's skin is walnut and his hair is black, as are his eyes in the dusk, though in the daytime you see they are actually greyish purple. He's the same height as Will, only seeming taller because he's very slender, with beautiful, long-fingered hands. His face is closed and deliberately so. He doesn't want people to guess what he's thinking. He can look a little supercilious, with a profile as clean and proud as a Persian statue (he never grows a beard). But when he's playing with his daughter, or when he's with his horse, his face softens and little creases dance round his lips. Even when he's laughing, he manages to preserve an air of slight detachment. It's his shield against the world.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Cody said...

This is really lovely. It's so nice to hear from an author how they think their characters ought to look.

This is probably a silly question, but have you given much thought to how Will, Ellie, and Kamil spent the rest of their lives? It seems like none of them would be content to just live out the rest of their days peacefully, after the adventures they had been on.

Thank you!

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Katie Grant said...

Hello, Cody,

Yes, sometimes I do think about Will, Ellie and Kamil. And, of course, Hosanna. You're right. Will and Ellie, at least, wouldn't have lived out their days peacefully. King Richard died in 1199 and after that come the tumultuous reign of King John. Will would certainly have been involved in the leadup to Magna Carta, and if Will was involved, Ellie would be too.

As for Kamil, I think his life was more peaceful, with all that latent anger expressed through poetry rather fighting. He was always a lonely figure. He loves his wife very much, but Ellie was the only girl he ever loved as an equal. He has his horses, though, and the one he rides is always blood red.

When Hosanna dies (just a falling asleep under a tree) Will sends Kamil a message. Perhaps Kamil replies. Will always hopes that he will. Ellie's not so sure. Even after many years of marriage, just thinking about Kamil has the capacity to unsettle her.

Hope that answers your excellent question.

Katie

4:21 AM  
Anonymous BookMoot said...

I know as a reader the actors who play the characters in the movie version of a book DO have an effect on my imagination as I read.

I have often wondered if this also affects the author who actually lives with the characters the their own head? Did JKRowling see Daniel Radcliffe in her imagination or was she able to maintain her own vision of Harry as she wrote the books?

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Katie Grant said...

I often wonder whether, even if she didn't at first, after the films came out J. K. Rowling couldn't help thinking about Daniel Radcliffe and the others as she wrote. It must be strange to be writing about somebody who arrived in your head and then suddenly becomes flesh and blood. I shall not deny that it's a strangeness I'd like to experience. Film producer, anybody?

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Leah said...

I love all the little details that make the characters who they are, it makes them more complex and vivid!

Are there any actors or actresses that you can picture playing Will, Gavin, Ellie, and Kamil?

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Katie Grant said...

Do you know, Leah, I don't really have any particular actors and actresses in mind, though I think I'd know them at once if I saw them. Do you have any ideas? If you have, I'd love to hear them.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Leah said...

Hi!

I didn't really have any, but I looked some people up and this what I came up with--->

Will: Chace Crawford
Gavin: Chad Michael Murray*
Ellie: Emmy Rossum
Kamil: Michael Steger*

*I couldn't find many good actors for Gavin and Kamil, so if I find better people, I'll tell you.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Katie Grant said...

Splendid, Leah. Let's hope they read your comment and decide to apply for the job!

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home